Monday 11 February 2013

(mis)perceptions about Canada

Here are some of the misperceptions about Canada that I have heard from other study abroad students and Brits.

MYTHS
  • Canada is in fact pronounced Canadia
  • No matter where you are from in Canada it is very very cold and there is a lot of snow
  • Canadians sell milk in bags
  • Canadians say eh after every phrase and enunciate O's like there is no tomorrow
  • All of the stereotypes personified in How I Met Your Mother are true
  • The Canadian national anthem resembles the Genovia national anthem from Princess Diaries
  • Canadians are very polite
FACTS
  • C-A-N-A-D-A
  • Although the majority of the country gets quite cold and there is a lot of snow, my hometown of Vancouver does not! It is way colder here and there is definitely no snow in February back home
  • We sell milk in jugs and cartons, bags are a thing of the past
  • I do say eh, NOT every time I talk though. I think I have been called out on an 'eh' slip three or four times since I've been here and a hard 'O' once or twice. These are moments of pride, not shame
  • Of all the stereotypes on HIMYM the one that is exemplified the best is that we have a sense of humour and are able to laugh at ourselves. Also that we love Tim Hortons, I really do love Tim Ho's and miss Iced Capps
  • My friend Kendall is the source of this Genovia myth, I refuse to believe there is a similarity but you can see for yourself on the link below
  • Why yes, we are polite, thank you so much for saying that, I really appreciate it and I hope you have a good day!



No comments:

Post a Comment