Saturday 18 May 2013

Cheers

I have heard the phrase "cheers" used here more times than I can possibly count. Cheers for holding the door open, cheers for giving back change from my 5 pound note, cheers for drinking, and cheers for everything in between. But only now has it hit me just how much I have to cheer for.

The past four months has flown by. I remember standing at the gates at YVR and thinking How am I going to do this? The act of moving halfway across the world to a place where I knew no one and had no idea what to expect seemed overwhelmingly daunting. Four months later I'm sitting in my pack up room, luggage scattered about and a bulletin board empty behind me, and I'm thinking, How could I ever not have done this?

I think when we go through the day to day routine at home, in a place of familiarity, we often forget just how wonderful the unfamiliar can be. That feeling of butterflies in your stomach, or of a quickened pulse when you don't know what's going to happen. All of which lead to the satisfaction of turning a street corner and discovering something new.

I am so grateful for the new things this experience has provided me with new friends, new memories, new places and new knowledge. The expectations I had going into this semester were nothing special, I thought I would have some fun and see some cool things, but all those were exceeded.

And now, as the final day here draws to a close I realize there were a lot of lasts.
Last dinner all together, last walk to ASDA, last night out, last time I'll sleep in my bed here. But for what it's worth, as I look back on all those lasts, I'm so glad that four months ago I took a deep breathe, walked on the plane, and took a first.

No comments:

Post a Comment